Your ring is tight. Your pants took great effort to get on. "Why, oh why?" you whisper. "I am so bloated." The culprit...water retention. This blog is for ALL women. Unless you are super woman with super powers you, too, have probably experienced the "Day of Tight Jeans." I know I have.
I love being a woman and I just have to laugh at my off days. I used to take it so seriously, but now it is humorous. I get bloated. There, I said it. I DO NOT weigh myself on these days. If I did, I might just be tempted to think all the work I do is not paying off.
So, why does it happen? Here is a short list of common things that can make you retain water. (disclaimer: these are common reasons and do not include medical conditions.)
2 Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
3. Gravity. Standing for prolonged periods of time can cause fluid to pool in the legs.
There are a few things I like to do to help me. These may not be medically proven, but they work for me:
1. I drink water to get hydrated and flush out built up salt.
2. I go for a run. Ever lick your lips after a sweaty workout? Your body gets rid of salt through sweating.
3. I stay away from overly processed foods. (As soon as I eat something that is processed like Ramen or chips I literally gain 2-3 pounds. Sweets can also hide high sodium contents, so read your labels.)
4. I make sure I am eating fiber through veggies, whole grains and fruit.
5. I also drink lemon juice in hot water. It has a slight diuretic effect. Cranberry juice also has a diuretic effect.
I don't do anything if it is PMS related, besides not weighing myself. I am just thankful to be a healthy woman.
What do you do when you feel like the "human sponge"?